Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve put together a list of the questions we get asked most often at Milestone, covering everything from training as a HGV driver, to the rules of driving, to understanding some of the industry jargon. Read our answers below. If there’s anything else you still need to know you can get in touch via our contact us page.
- How much does it cost to get a HGV licence?
- How long does HGV training take?
- What can I expect in my HGV test?
- What is a HGV Medical?
- How do I book the HGV theory test?
- Is there a waiting period between taking Category C (II) and Category C+E (Class I)?
- How can I organise a retake if I need it?
- How do I become a HGV driver instructor?
- What qualifications do I need to become an FLT driver?
- Do I need special insurance for HGV?
- What are the regulations for breaks?
- Can a full-time truck driver legally drive a taxi at weekends?
- Can I drive a Category C vehicle if I already have a bus PCV licence?
- What are the maximum number of hours I can drive in a week?
- What is a Tramper Driver?
- What is the difference between HGV and LGV?
- What is a digital tachograph card?
- What is the difference between C and C+E licences?
- What is the difference between Class 1 and Class 2 licences?
- What is it like to be a truck driver?
- What hours do HGV drivers work?
- How old do you have to be to become a truck driver?
- How do I get a HGV job?
- How do I get my first trucking job with no experience?
- Do I have to have a C.V?
- What happens during the assessment?
- What money can I earn as an HGV driver?
- What types of HGV work is there?
- What is the difference between working for an agency and a company directly?